My Photo
Name:
Location: Laughing Lady, Montana, United States

I am a mystic. Mostly concerned with the spiritual. I love the forests, which seem to me the least corrupted Word of God; unless, of course, the Big Whodunnit decides to send a live messenger.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

A MOOSE IN THE HOOSE

I have removed this post, then reposted it so I could rid the Comments section of several noisome advertisements. Blah! I don't even like advertisements on my clothes! I don't like telling people that I am wearing Adida shoes or a Ralph Lauren shirt. Fooey on that K.R.A.P. To those of you who made genuine comments, I extend my thanks. --Thunderpen

Friday, June 11, 2004

A Moose in the Hoose

Many of us live in Montana because it’s close to the wild. Closer to the Earth is more pristine, colder, cleaner, and it rejuvenates the spirit. We have wild water, wild air and …

… wildlife: Nancy and I were working in the garden when she exclaimed, "Parris, look! There's an elk in the yard!" She has exceptionally sharp eyes for critters.

Elk in the yard — much rarer lately — so I’m glad to hear it. I look. I can see only its nose. But it didn't look quite right. Darker. Its nose ...

Then it moved. It was a moose.

The moose, a young leggy female, moved around to the back of the house and then, I thought, went down the hill to the little remnant pond.

Later, in early dusk, Nancy looked up from the kitchen table and exclaimed, "Parris! (That's my name. It comes up a lot.) It's the moose! She's down by the garden now."

Sure enough. That dark lovely just ambled around and smelled or tasted everything. I thought at one point I would have to chase her away from my little elm tree, but she didn't do much damage. She tried this and sampled that. She’d bite a 2X4. Sniff the pickup. She was like a puppy that will eat or chew anything. She nibbled her way right up to the house. All three of us rushed toward the bedroom, the two of us on the inside and the moose on the outside.

We stood one bedlength away as she tasted the glass of the bedroom windows and bit at the mullions.
I had my camera in hand, but I refrained from taking a shot for three reasons. First, if I shoot through the glass, the reflection of the flash destroys the image on the other side. Second, I didn’t want to scare her away. And third, a sense of awe and respect had settled over us.

When she moved toward the north side of the house, Nancy and I rushed to the backdoor and watched her munch on my little maple trees. Then we froze like statues as this beautiful beast came right up to the window. We stood, still as Hummel painted porcelain children, as she gazed at us, through a double-paned window and perhaps 18” of space.

She licked the glass right in front of our faces.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home